How To Sew Quiet Book Pages

Here is a little tutorial on how I sew up my final quiet book pages. My designs are 9″ x 9″ on a felt background. I sew my final pages using 9″ x 12″ felt sheets – white for the front and colored or patterned for the back. If your pages are a different size you’ll have to modify accordingly.

1.  Pin your design to the white felt. I put mine close to the right edge but leave about a half inch.
  2. Zigzag stitch around all four sides. If you have dangly bits, make sure you hold them out of the way!
  3. On the reverse side, pin on the background (wrong sides facing.)
  4. Sew all the way around.
  5. On the front, I sew a line 1.75″ from the left edge. I use a hole on my machine as my guide.
  6. Sew another line just inside of it. I use my presser foot as my guide.
  7. Sew a line just to the side of the far left seam like in step 6.
  8. Gather what you need to put in grommets. I made a template so all of my pages would match up.
  9. Mark your holes. Place them in the channel you made for strength.
  10. Cut out holes as directed on your grommet package.
  11. Put in your grommets as directed on the package.
  12. All done!

When I have a 2-page spread, I sew the right-hand page with steps 1 – 4. Sew the left-hand page like steps 1 – 4 but align everything to the left of the page instead of the right. Place the pages together, right sides facing. Sew over the far left seam, then make the same seams as in steps 5 – 7. Continue on to make your grommets. You’ll now have a separate page you can take out of the book and the two halves will always stay together!

I hope this helps! I’ll post about my cover soon… I still have to make it!

35 thoughts on “How To Sew Quiet Book Pages

1. Lisa

Thank you for posting all of your quite book pages. I am making one for my son using your patterns. I love them. One question, am I right that the back of each page is blank? So, when you open it you would have an activity page and then a blank page on the other side (unless you have a double page spread) and then the next page is another activiy then blank and so on? You don’t sew the activity pages together? I’m not to that point just yet, but I don’t want to mess it up;) Thanks!

1. Stephanie Post author

That’s the way I did mine – just a solid color on the back. It’s just personal preference. I wanted to be able to mix and match the pages in my book(s) without taking more than one activity out at the same time. You could certainly sew them back to back if you wanted to keep them in a permanent order.

2. Deanna

I’m really enjoying all the patterns that you’ve provided through this blog! I was wondering what size grommets you use when binding the book? Thanks!

3. pam carroll

I love your posts and have done several of your pages with more on the way. When you sew your pages together back to back do you put anything in between, example pellon or anything. thanks for the really cute ideas.

4. pam carroll

I love your posts and have done several of your pages with more on the way. When you sew your pages together back to back do you put anything in between, example pellon or anything or just the two finished pages? thanks for the really cute ideas.

1. Stephanie Post author

I don’t add anything in between. My quiet books get so packed full that two layers of felt (plus whatever is sewn on the page) makes them plenty thick!

5. Tiffany

Hi there. LOVE your quiet book! I’m trying to figure out all the specifics of the one I’m making and was wondering how wide your spacing is for the grommets. I have a double needle for the 2 lines on each side but can’t for the life of me figure out how wide the gutter should be. Thanks! :)

6. Brenda

Thank you so much for sharing your templates! They are amazing! I just made my first page (the Sandcastle.) I am completely new to sewing and blanket stitched everything easily. Where did you get the metal rings to hold it all together? Thanks!

7. Carrie

Thanks for all your tutorials. I finished the circus train, mailbox, and made a few of my own (“paper” doll dress-up and ladybug counting beads) after looking through all the inspiration! My question is, do you have any trouble with the grommets not holding? Once I assembled the book with the binder rings, several of the grommets have pulled out when the felt stretched as the pages are turned. Maybe I need to try another size or style of grommet? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

1. Stephanie Post author

Hm, I’ve only had one come out, because I cut the hole for it too big. You want to go as small as possible with the hole, and preferably have at least 2-3 sheets of felt you are going through. You could try sewing button holes if you are patient!

8. Wendy

I have one question I don’t see here, have you had any problems with the buttons coming undone? I love the idea of making something like this for my granddaughters, but the thought of buttons scares the beans right out of me!

1. Stephanie Post author

I haven’t had any buttons come loose, but Jax doesn’t play with his quietbooks unattended (and I sew them on very strong!) If you have concerns, you should think about swapping them for felt. Do what works best for your situation!

9. Kourtney

I notice a lot of the items on your pages are hand stitched, do you just use normal thread or embroidery thread??

10. Ashley

Hi there! Do you mind sharing what sewing machine you use? I have just been creating felt projects by hand and wanted to tackle a machine (clearly a newbie here!) A nice beginner machine would be nice, but I understand working with this type of material might require something else.

Thanks!! You’re an inspiration to moms to be as creative as possible :)

11. Jenna

Hi! So i have just came across your site….and let me say its amazing! You have the easiest patterns and explanations not to mention the SUPER cute quiet book pages! I have decided that um I can TOTALLY do this with your pattern. :) I have cut out the solar system page, sock matching page ( my 4 year old like to match socks! That did not come from me. lol) and the fire truck page. Im sure i will have many many questions, but first i saw that you made the fire station page and was wondering when we can get the pattern for that??? So i have it all cut out and now i go to assembling….which i know can be a time eating task. (Still working on my stocking of Holly Hobbie) Im excited and sooo glad to come across your amazing page!

12. Ashley

Hi Stephanie, I LOVE your quiet book pages and am enjoying many of your templates. I’ve noticed that some of your pages look like they were sewn together rather than using the grommet method and was wondering if it was true and if there was a tutorial on on you did it. Thanks!

13. vera

My question is same as Ashley’s, Mar. 16, 2013. Is there a tutorial for pages sewn together rather than using the grommet method. Do the sewn together pages go in a different book & cover? I’m planning to make most of your patterns for 2 great grandchildren. They are great.(your patterns) Thanks.

14. Joy

Thank You so much for sharing. I have downloaded the patterns I want to do in the Quiet Books. I can’t wait to get started.

15. kai

an idea instead of having them lose so you have heaps of blank pages but not stitching them together, use those white little clips (having a brain block on their names) so the backs can join together but can be changed. Make it so the first (left) page has on side for all of them and the second (right) page has all the other so they all can be interchangeable.

16. Stephanie Post author

I generally don’t mix, except I like to use cheap craft felt as the backing piece when sewing the final page together.

17. Jessica

Hi Stephanie.. You are so talented in your crafts thanks so much for sharing. I am excited to make a quiet book and following your website. I was just curious because I am on a budget. Do you buy your craft supplies (felt, etc.) in bulk online or just buy everything at your local craft store?

1. Stephanie Post author

I currently have a felt sponsor that helps me buy nicer felt on sponsored projects. Otherwise, I use coupons for items sold in the craft store and look around for the lowest prices on felt (usually on Etsy). I buy bit-by-bit and try to use every scrap.

18. Kayla

I’m starting my first quiet book and enjoy looking at all your designs! I noticed you replied to someone saying, “I like to use cheap craft felt as the backing piece when sewing the final page together.” Is that the 9×12 “final” white sheet you sew your designed side to? And craft felt is acrylic and not wool blend, is that correct?

I’m trying to make sure I understand everything before I run out a buy supplies! I’ve seen several other blogs make mention of not using the acrylic felt because it’s not durable.

1. Stephanie Post author

The backing the the blank 9×12 felt sheet that goes on the back side of the fully finished page. Yes, I mean acrylic or polyester felt you find in craft stores for around 30 cents a sheet. I hope that helps!