1. Take time to smell the flowers. Nothing is so important you can’t pause to spend 5 minutes with your loved ones.
2. I don’t feel anywhere near as old as I am. That’s a good thing, right?
3. I’m really good at leaving sippy cups behind.
4. Babies grow up too fast.
5. I still hate making phone calls for work, but I’m getting better at it.
6. It’s hard not having family close by. I’m a little jealous of those that do, but I’m grateful for what I have.
7. I don’t think I could ever kiss my sweet son enough.
8. I’m not as nervous about flying with a little one now that I’ve done it.
9. I can change a diaper super fast. Even when that baby is running away from me!
10. Bubbles are amazing when you’re one.
11. I’m more materialistic than I’d like to be. When I lose a favorite thing, it really pains me.
12. It doesn’t need batteries or licensed characters to be fun. This wooden kiddie car has been in our family 100 years. Jax adores it!
13. I’m actually glad that co-sleeping keeps me from turning the tv on in bed. I barely watch tv anymore, and I don’t mind. I read instead! Also, toddlers fill an entire king-size bed.
14. Sitting quietly in a morning sunbeam can brighten your whole day.
15. I need to make more friends.
16. Nightly toddler baths may take up my evenings, but I know I’ll miss them when they’re gone.
17. I’m pretty sure I won’t have the time or money to do all the creative projects in my head until Jax is off on his own. I’m trying to find a balance.
18. I hate cilantro. It tastes like day-old garbage to me. But I might be broken.
19. Teething is hard.
20. I’m trying to practice cooking more, but I’m really not good at it. Probably because I grew up with just my dad and his very limited culinary skills. But, I do love to bake! Let’s live off cookies!
21. I run errands when I’m lonely for adult interaction.
22. I’m really going to miss nursing when Jax weans. It exhausts me at times, but I couldn’t feel more bonded to him.
23. It’s weird and amazing when your child starts to talk.
24. I didn’t feel like myself in the months my hair wasn’t in braids. I chopped it all off to start fresh then hid it under hats until it was long enough to braid again.
25. I’m not sure anyone lives more in the moment than an almost-2-year-old.
26. I am always wishing I could buy myself new clothes and accessories, but I buy Jax clothes instead. After all, he’s the one constantly growing.
27. My baby loves “sushi”! (He eats miso soup soaked rice with heaps of tofu, crab sticks and edamame.) If you ask him what he wants for dinner, the answer is always “sushi”!
28. Aim high. Higher than you think you can reach. You may surprise yourself.
29. Time speeds up when you are a mom.
30. I wish I had more time to clean and organize during the times I am full of energy. I find it satisfying. I used to offer to clean friend’s rooms growing up.
31. Dogs are expensive. Benny’s current ear infection will likely cost us $1k we can’t afford. It’s a doozy.
32. I’m a little overwhelmed but the tantrums that are beginning to happen. But I try hard not to let them frazzle me.
33. Acknowledge and respect your children when they have something to say – even when they are just starting to talk. I was hushed often as a child and I realize now it hurt.
34. I love the iPhone I got this year. I don’t miss my Droid a single bit. And now that my whole side of the family has either iPhones or iPads, Jax gets to do FaceTime with them.
35. Make some time to get messy and creative. I always feel better after creating something beautiful.